I love celebrating all the fun national holidays, but I hate missing out on them because I didn't see anyone post about them until late that night. Last year by the time I found out about National Donut Day, all the donut places were closed. I had some majorly disappointed kids... and if we are being completely honest, I was a little sad myself.
But don't you worry - we have created a calendar for your fridge so you never miss out on the fun again. You can download it here:
This month you won't want to miss:
January 1 - New Year's Day
- Hoppin' John Recipe (from our sister site in Reading, PA)
- New Years Traditions from Around the World (from our sister site in Reading, PA)
January 4 - National Spaghetti Day
- Celebrate by visiting one of the many local authentic Italian restaurants we have in Gig Harbor. Here are a few of my family's favorites:
January 8 - National Take the Stairs Day
- Thomas Jefferson lived to be 83 at a time when the life expectancy was 40 years old, and he walked 4 miles every day. So, instead of taking an elevator or escalator, try walking up the stairs today instead.
January 10 - Houseplant Appreciation Day
- I don't have much of a green thumb, but if I did, I'd visit a local garden center to find a beautiful new houseplant! Did you know that houseplants help to clean and add moisture to the air? There are many great benefits of having a houseplant (or 2 or 3!)
January 13 - Make Your Dreams Come True Day
- With help from your whole family, create a Family Vision Board for this year, and then make plans to achieve those goals and dreams. Click here for more information about making a Family Vision Board.
January 14 - Dress Up Your Pet Day
- We want to see your dressed-up pets! Follow us on Instagram HERE. Then tag us in your posts on this day and use our special hashtag: #MKGigHarborDressYourPets. We'll be featuring some of your pets throughout the week on our Instagram page!
January 19 - National Popcorn Day
- What goes great with Popcorn? MOVIES! Either go to the movies or curl up with a big bowl of popcorn at home and snuggle up to have a movie marathon!
January 20 - National Cheese Lover's Day
- Cheese...it's Gouda! (Like that play on words there?) There are SO many varieties of delicious cheese, but how do you know which are good for melting, crumbling or grating? With our sister sites handy guide, you'll never be led astray again! Check out her guide: "8 Types of Cheese & how to Eat Them".
January 23 - National Pie Day
- Apple Pie Smoothie
- Mini Cream Pie Cookie Cups
- Lemon Pie
- Key Lime Pie (sister site)
- Mom's Strawberry Pie
- Pumpkin Pie Craft (sister site)
January 25 - National Seed Swap Day
- Have some friends over and invite each one of them to bring one seed packet (or multiple packets depending on how many people you are inviting). It's up to you to determine if they should be flowers, vegetables or fruits, or a mixture of all three. Gather up some newspaper, purchase some soil, and you're all set to make your own Newspaper Seed Planters. Share the seeds with each other, and you'll each have a variety of plants to enjoy this spring!
January 26 - National Spouses Day
- It's a great day for a date night with your spouse! Whether you hire a sitter and go out, or wait until the kids are in bed, plan a night to enjoy together. Play a game, try a new recipe, go do something you've been wanting to try (hello Axe Throwing!)... whatever you decide, you'll be glad you did!
January 29 - National Puzzle Day
- My mind went directly to jigsaw puzzles when I saw this, but there are many different puzzles. May I suggest trying your hand at an Escape Room? You have to solve a myriad of puzzles in order to escape in the given amount of time, and you're sure to have fun while doing it! Of course, if jigsaw puzzles are more your cup of tea, pick out a new one and get the whole family involved. Can you put it all together in one day, or do you like to let it sit out and work on it a little each day?
Want to make sure you get each of our calendars every month? Subscribe HERE for FREE!
Want more information about how your business can be featured or a sponsor of a monthly calendar? Email email@example.com.